In the past decade, several online-only news sites have established themselves. Here are a few:
Your assignment tonight is to contrast and compare three online-only news sites and discuss how they use links and digital techniques. Your 300-word story should also include 5 links and be written like a news article.
In this class you will learn the fundamentals of how to be a modern journalist. You will need:
- A camera that takes pictures and video. You can use a smartphone, tablet or media player like an iPod. The school has cameras you can borrow.
- A computer. While we are in a computer lab setting, you’ll need to be able to access the Internet and do assignments at home.
- A USB drive. We are doing work in class and you’ll probably want to take your work home with you. You can bring in your own laptop if you want instead of using the class computer.
- Set up a WordPress account and start your own blog. It doesn’t have to be fancy. This is where you will post all of your assignments.
- The class textbook is the third edition of Online Journalism: Principles and Practices of News for the Web by James C. Foust.
- Get excited because I am.
Jan. 12/ 2015
Let’s start with WordPress.
The Washtenaw Community College course held on Tuesday nights in the winter semester of 2015.