HTML basics and foundations
If you are using Firefox the modern way to finding the source code is this:
To view the source code of a web page in Mozilla Firefox, follow the steps below. Open Mozilla Firefox and navigate to the web page of your choice. Press the Alt key to bring up the browser’s menu bar. Select Tools, Web Developer, and then Page Source.
To be able to view the source code of a webpage under Safari, you first need to enable the Developer menu:
Click on Safari menu > Preferences > Advanced.
Check “Show Develop menu in menu bar”.
Close the Preferences window.
Go to the Develop menu > Show Page Source.
What are meta tag?
A meta tag is a tag (that is, a coding statement) in the Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) that describes some aspect of the contents of a Web page.
Html Tutorial Part 2
The above video ends abruptly, but here are a list of common html tags.
The HTML of links and nesting of tags.
World Wide Web Consortium
Tonight’s practice assignment. Open up a new post, click on the HTML code page and code a page using tags. Write a paragraph making sure to use different text enhancement like bold and italic. Make a list. Experiment and build a page with as much code knowledge as you have.
Here are some examples we’ll review of excellent multi-media storytelling. See how the stories are enhanced with these elements and consider how your stories can be augmented.
What is multi-media storytelling
Another take on what makes the best multi-media storytelling
A home less girl
Iraq and Chemical Weapons
Women of West Point
Same Sex Weddings
Planet Money makes a T-shirt
Consider a story you might be working on or have worked on for a previous course. How might you have used video, audio, rich content? How would these features help advance your story in ways that text cannot?
In the past decade, several online-only news sites have established themselves. Here are a few:
Your assignment tonight is to contrast and compare three online-only news sites and discuss how they use links and digital techniques. Your 300-word story should also include 5 links and be written like a news article.
In this class you will learn the fundamentals of how to be a modern journalist. You will need:
- A camera that takes pictures and video. You can use a smartphone, tablet or media player like an iPod. The school has cameras you can borrow.
- A computer. While we are in a computer lab setting, you’ll need to be able to access the Internet and do assignments at home.
- A USB drive. We are doing work in class and you’ll probably want to take your work home with you. You can bring in your own laptop if you want instead of using the class computer.
- Set up a WordPress account and start your own blog. It doesn’t have to be fancy. This is where you will post all of your assignments.
- The class textbook is the third edition of Online Journalism: Principles and Practices of News for the Web by James C. Foust.
- Get excited because I am.
Jan. 12/ 2015
Let’s start with WordPress.